Lampshade Making Workshop
Make a custom drum lampshade to spice up your interiors with Sue in our Paddington store.
get creative with us in our
Hands On Workshops at
We’re sharing our creative skills with you in our intimate group and one on one workshops.
Oil Painting Workshop
Join Ellie in our Fortitude Valley Gallery for one-on-one oil paintings classes that are tailored to your artistic level and interest.
Click to see upcoming class dates or to request a date
what to exect in
Lampshade Making Class
Make A custom drum lampshade to spice up your interiors WITH
Duration 3 hours
Cost $145-$175 per person
Up to 6 people
Join Bowerbird Collection’s Sue Robinson in our Paddington store and learn how to make a drum lampshade in your own fabric!
In this class, Sue will guide you to make the perfect custom drum lampshade to fit your lamp or light fitting. Choose any size and proportion up to 17″ (43cm) diameter and 12″ (30cm) tall. The workshop price varies depending on the size you choose to make.
- Up to 14″ (35.5cm) diameter $145 (plus fabric)
- 15″ (38cm) diameter $155 (plus fabric)
- 16″ (40.5cm) diameter $165 (plus fabric)
- 17″ (43cm) diameter $175 (plus fabric)
You can supply your own fabric (0.4m) or buy fabric from our exclusive range of fabrics. If you are supplying your own fabric please follow the guidelines below.
- We recommend natural fibre fabrics, like linen and cotton. Avoid synthetics as they often react to the glues, which leads to buckles and poor adhesion.
- Avoid silks as they are too difficult for beginners.
- We recommend light to medium weight fabric that is smooth and structurally strong. Avoid fabrics that are delicate, stretchy, bulky or have a very open weave (like hessian or a loose-knit).
- Minimum 140cm wide from selvedge to selvedge to make a 17″ (43cm) wide drum lampshade
- Minimum 40cm drop of fabric.
Before the class we require:
- 1 week before the class we require the dimensions and fitting type of the lampshade you wish to make.
- If you wish to purchase fabric from our range, please arrange a time before the day of your class to come in and make a selection.
- Excluding fabric we provide all materials and morning tea.
- Please arrive 15 minutes early to set up.
- Our workshops require a minimum of three participants to go ahead. In the event that a workshop does not meet the minimum number of participants and is subsequently cancelled, students will be notified via text message and offered new dates or the option of a full refund.
- You must be aged 15+ to attend this class.
- Available for private group bookings of 5-6 people.
Beginner friendly. No prior skills required.
- Live demonstration from Sue Robinson.
- One-on-one guidance.
- Morning tea.
- Your own beautiful drum lampshade.
- The satisfaction of making something beautiful with your own hands and a new skill!
If you have not already arranged fabric with us prior to the workshop please bring your fabric on the day, ironed and ready to go. Please ensure that your fabric meets the size, weight and composition criteria.
Sue is running special TAPERED lampshade workshops for return students who have already completed a DRUM lampshade workshop.
Contact us to be added to the wait list.
Oil Painting Workshop
One -on-one Oil Painting Class that is tailored to your artistic level and interest with
Duration minimum 3 hours
Cost $300 per person
Up to 2 people
Welcome to the joy of oil painting! Ellie Sweetman will share with you her simple, step by step approach that makes oil painting super satisfying and achievable for everyone.
During this class, you will learn how to capture an image with free-flowing brushstrokes in a relaxed and encouraging environment.
This class is beginner and intermediate-friendly. We use artist quality paints and materials.
In Ellie’s words: “We are not looking for perfection! We are learning how to simplify what we see, and then allow our brush and paint to do its own beautiful thing.”
- Beginner, intermediate and advanced friendly.
- Oil paints often get a bad rap for being sometimes used alongside toxic solvents. In this class, your health and well being is our priority, so our studio has good ventilation and we use only non-toxic solvent-free mediums.
- All materials, including aprons are provided.
- Please bring a box (at least 13″ x 13″), an old towel or newspaper to protect your belongings from the wet painting when you take it home after class.
- Available for one-on-one or group bookings of 2 people.
- Please arrive 15 minutes early to set up.
- You must be aged 15+ to attend this class
for Oil Painting
137 Warry Street, Fortitude Valley
for Lampshade Making
117 Enoggera Terrace, Paddington
Phone: 07 3368 3241
Anyone partaking in any classes or coming to any events at Bowerbird Collections must agree to these terms and conditions.
I agree to take on full responsibility for any damages, injuries and for physical and/or personal property, which I might incur whilst participating in classes and/or events organised by Bowerbird Collections.
I agree to give Bowerbird Collections unrestricted publishing rights for any photographs or videos taken at Bowerbird Collections classes and events. (For use of Bowerbird Collections marketing materials).
If you can no longer attend, Bowerbird Collections must be notified 48 hours prior to your workshop or class and an alternative day or credit note will be organised. Your place can also be transferred to friends or family at any time. Unfortunately, we don’t offer refunds. Thank you for understanding.
We aim to run each workshop, however, our workshops must have a minimum of 3 participants to go ahead. In the event that a workshop does not meet the minimum number of participants and is subsequently cancelled, students will be notified via text message or email and entitled to a full refund or credit
Most important questions, like "the meaning of life" answered below
More questions? give us a call x
Comfortable clothing that you’re okay with getting paint/clay on. We will of course provide aprons, but it’s best not to wear your favourite top. Oils paints can be particularly messy.
For all workshops in our Fortitude Valley Gallery & workshop there is ample street parking on Warry street that is 2-9h metered on weekdays and free on weekends.
For lampshade making workshops in our Paddington store, free street parking is available on Enoggera Tce and Kennedy Tce.
All equipment, excluding fabric, is provided along with morning tea.
Please note that we require confirmation of size and fabric 1 week prior to the class date.
If you have arranged to paint a specific image prior to the class please bring reference images either printed out or on a laptop/phone.
All materials including paints, canvas and brushes are supplied unless prior arrangements are made.
Yes! Contact us for a workshop gift voucher.
Our workshops are free to reschedule up to 2 days in advance of the workshop. Unfortunately we don’t offer refunds on workshops. If you have booked and can no longer make it to the workshop you must contact us no less than 2 days (48 hours) prior to the workshop in order to arrange an alternative date.
Transfers to friends or relatives are allowed up to 24 hours before the scheduled class.
No. Students must be at least 15 years old to attend.
Yes, you can book up to 6 people for a lampshade making workshop and up to 2 people for an oil painting workshop. Simply select the number of tickets you desire on the booking page.